Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Cloth Diapering - Getting Started

So I have three kids. My youngest is 2 months old. I used disposable diapers ('sposies) on my older two children but with this last one I wanted to have fun and feel good about diapering so decided I'd reach for cloth! I read tons of articles and blogs about cloth diapering in trying to make my decision of whether it was for me. Many people tried to talk me out of it saying it was too much work, they gave their kids rashes, they didn’t get clean, they leaked, and on and on and on… But from talking to friends and reading blogs, I could see there was more to the story and for me, it was worth the try! So I decided to buy a conservative amount (quantity and cost) yet a varied enough selection that I could get a good idea of whether cloth would work for our family. I did a ton of research on everything from the favorite brands, various types, cost comparisons of cloth vs ‘sposies, proper washing techniques and detergents, etc. I also searched several websites and asked recommendations from friends. Cloth diapering is just one thing I'll blog about here, but it is one of my favorite things! Diaper Laundry is the most enjoyable laundry - fun to get clean, fun to hang to dry, fun to organize, and fun to buy!! Perhaps most importantly, I love having my little guy diapered in earth-friendly, naturally washed diapers. His little bum is soft and sweetly covered the natural way!

Getting Started.... So if you're new to cloth diapering and just getting started, perhaps just considering whether it may be for you and your baby, let me help you along the way. There are a few things you’ll want to consider at the get go.

One of the first questions to consider: How often do you want to do laundry? Why does this this matter? It will affect the number of diapers you have to buy. Most people launder diapers every other day. Personally I don't like the idea of my diapers "sitting" dirty that long so I tend to wash every day. Yes, I do a bit more laundry, but I also don't need quite as many diapers as I would otherwise. I do prefer to dry my diapers and covers on the clothes line. Not only does the sun bleach lingering stains out of the cloth, there’s nothing quite as beautiful (at least in my eyes!!) of a clothes line full of colored diapers blowing in the breeze. If I wait too long and am completely out of stash then I will go ahead and throw them in the dryer. I have done this a few times now and have had no problems whatsoever. The covers still look great! Whichever way you choose to dry your diapers is up to you! When diapering it’s all about what works for you and your family, and what techniques best fit into your schedule. First and foremost, don't let the purchases and processes overwhelm! There is so much information and varied opinions that it's easy to think it's just too difficult to try. Believe me, it's really not that big of a deal!! This coming from a wife, student, and mother of three (one of which is a diabetic)! It's totally doable! And the enjoyment you get out of it is well worth the extra effort! Just spend some time reading through my following blogs and you'll quickly have a good handle on everything you need to know to make cloth diapering work for you! First and foremost, just figure out what you realistically need to purchase to give cloth diapering a try!! Read my next blog to find out more about quantities and costs for starters!

No comments:

Post a Comment