Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Laundry Day

Washing diapers is really so fun, and best of all, it’s easy to get great results! Many people keep their dirty diapers all together in one container until wash day, with no problem. However, I’m pretty organized by nature and like things clean and tidy. I like to keep my diaper supplies sorted in three separate buckets – 1 poo, 1 pee, and 1 for diaper covers and other accessories that are not very dirty but still need washed.

1st Wash: On laundry day (which for me begins about every other night) I take the poo diapers and throw them into the washer, making sure any Velcro tabs are attached to their wash tabs. I put about 2 Tablespoons of Planet 2X Ultra Detergent (available at most supermarkets) into the wash and run a cold cycle.

2nd Wash: Once that’s complete I throw the pee diapers in along with the cleaned poo diapers, along with 2 T of Planet 2X or Rockin Green and put through a Hot/Cold wash with an extra rinse. If I’m feeling lazy I also throw the third bucket consisting of the “not dirty but still need washed” items (usually consisting of just covers) in along with these to be washed.

When I have extra time and energy on my hands I wash the “not dirty but still need washed” items by hand in a bucket with 1-2 Tablespoons of Planet 2X then hang to dry. I also sometimes fill poo bucket with water just to cover, add a couple Tablespoons of Planet 2X and soak for about 30 minutes prior to washing. On occasion, I will also wash the pee diapers separately before putting them in with the cleaned poo diapers, but generally I don’t find this step necessary.

If I’m doing the wash at night, I just leave the final load of clean items sitting in washer until morning at which point I then hang on the clothes line outdoors to dry. If I’m in desperate need for the items or if I’m greeted with a rainy day then I toss all the items in the dryer. I do have a clothes line in my basement which I sometimes hang the covers on if it’s too rainy but I have also thrown them in the dryer and have had no problems with wear/tear. Prefolds actually like the dryer, so you never have to feel guilty about drying these by machine!

I cannot recommend outdoor line drying enough!! Not only does it save on electric, the sun will brighten those prefolds, inserts and doublers and bleach any remaining stain right out of the white!! I’ve been caring for my diapers in this manner for over 2 months now – starting at 2 weeks – and have a great, clean diaper stash that looks nearly brand new! My little guy is happy and so is mommy : ) Really a fun and enjoyable routine!

No comments:

Post a Comment