Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Homemade Diaper Wipes

Once you are using cloth diapers you really might as well use cloth wipes as well! Nothing quite like making your own diaper wipes so you know what exactly is going on your little baby’s bum! Once the wipe is used just roll it up with the dirty diaper and toss them together in your bin.

I recommend starting with a dozen BumGenius flannel wipes (less than $12). These wipes are sooo soft, and do up really well. You can also use baby washcloths but I find the flannel is much softer. I purchased a little airtight plastic container with a lid from Target for less than $5 which I make and store the wipes in.

My favorite concoction so far is 1 cup water, 1 tablespoon of Baby Wash (I’m currently using Aveeno Baby Wash and Shampoo), 1 tablespoon Baby Lotion (I’m currently using Aveeno Baby Fragrance Free Soothing Relief Moisture Cream) and 1 tablespoon Baby Oil (I like Burt’s Bees Baby Bee Nourishing Baby Oil). Mix the water with the three ingredients in the container and then put the wipes in to coat all equally. I do this by dropping each wipe in individually in order to ensure they are all coated with the oils/lotions equally. This amount of solution works well for about 18 wipes. I generally use the washcloths in my “to go” wipes container, and keep the BumGenius Wipes for my special stash at home. 18 wipes last 2-3 days. I’ve read that you don’t want to keep them much longer than that as they may get moldy.

An added benefit of this mixture is that you always have fresh and clean wipes to use when you are on the go or at home! I often use them for my older children when we are out and about to clean faces, strollers, hands, etc. You can also use them for a quick “wipes bath” on your baby just to clean his face, hands, feet, etc. The solution smells so good!

There are some great mixtures on this website: http://www.zany-zebra.com/cloth-wipe-solution.shtml

The first time I tried making my own wipes I only used water and Baby Wash. My baby actually did get a rash from this concoction. I realized after the fact that I used too much water and it was just too much moisture on my baby’s butt. I also did not use any cream or oil so I think it may have been a wee bit abrasive. Since using less water and adding the cream and oil I have had absolutely no problems!!

Note: Obviously homemade wipes would store well in a Pampers or Huggies Wipes container but as I was going through the effort of making homemade wipes I really didn’t want to advertise store-bought brands : )

No comments:

Post a Comment