Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Review of my Diaper Stash

My initial stash consisted of: 6 white Indian pre-folds newborns (orange), 12 white Indian pre-folds small (yellow), two Kissaluvs fitted diapers (size 0), four one-size regular covers (2 Blueberry snap one-size coveralls and 2 small Thirsties Duo Wrap Covers - one velcro and one snap), 4 hybrids (2 gDiapers with inserts, 2 flips), 2 small Bum Genius all in ones (AIOs), 3 Hemp Diaper Doublers, 4 Snappi Fasteners, and 12 BumGenius Flannel Wipes. I also purchased 1 Large Gro Via Diaper Pail Bag and 1 Small Gro Via Wet Bag to store dirty diapers in, and a small bottle of Bum Genius Odor Remover.

If I were to do it over again, I would not have bought the gDiapers. I love the feel of them, they are sooo soft on the outside, but my baby (now 2 months) soaks through and his pooh runs out into the waterproof cover about every time he wears them. Granted, the poo generally does not come onto his clothes, but still if I can use a regular cloth diaper and have no mess except for what is caught in the diaper itself, why deal with the extra mess the gDiapers bring! So for what I spent on them (about $30 for a set of 2 which included the 2 covers, 2 plastic inserts, and about 6 cloth inserts) they were an expensive addition which didn't work very well. The idea is great -- you can either use the cloth inserts or earth-friendly disposables -- but the disposables are expensive enough that while living on a budget I just haven't ever spent the money for them. I basically use these as my "last set" which I use as a last resort when all the other diapers are in the wash. I recently asked my husband what his least favorite diaper is, and he said "the ones that have all the pieces that you have to put together" (meaning the gDiaper set). It's a cover with snap in waterproof inner liner followed by the cloth gLiner. So just three componenets but yet cumbersome when you are trying to get a little guy covered before he decides to "aim and fire" before he is fully diapered again!   

I must say I still love the idea of the gDiaper, and they are super cute! I admit, I’m proud to “show off” my little guy’s gDiaper by coupling it with just a t-shirt when we are at friends’ homes, because they are truly just so darned cute! My original draw to gDiapers was because I hated the feel of the regular covers and AIOs. However, I’ve sensed learned a valuable lesson – the feel of waterproof (PUL fabric) is worth getting used to! They don’t bother me a bit!

I only have the 2 Flip covers because they were part of a promotion. Had they not been part of the promotion I would have purchased another brand. They are a fine diaper but I could take them or leave them. They do look cute on my baby and I like the colors. But as I don’t use them for their hybrid use (I have only used them as a cloth cover) they are really just another cover. The Thirsties Duo Cover snap, though it is not the first cover I reach for, it is very nice. I have the “honeydew” color and it is a great color and a great diaper!! I have never had any leaks out of my Thirsties. However, truly two is plenty for just starting out. I received the “blackbird” Thirsties cover in Velcro as a gift. Although I love the feature of Velcro (fits babies great and so easy!) at 2 months my baby has just about grown out of it. You have to check out the designs on Thirsties – so cute!!

Small "Blackbird" Thirstie Cover on 2 week old




















A friend had raved about the Blueberry diapers so I purchased two with snaps. They are also a cover I could take or leave. Nothing really that special about them. In retrospect, I really didn’t need six waterproof diaper covers to start. Four, definitely five, would have been sufficient.

I adore the appearance of the Kissaluv fitted diaper. A beautifully soft diaper with such a cute fit! However, the minute my baby pees the diaper is saturated and needs changed! I’ve noticed that this diaper above all others bothers my baby when wet. He will cry and cry with this diaper, yet is very tolerant of the other types. I would say this however – this diaper is great for pictures!! I took my son in at his one month pictures and used this diaper (without a cover) for a few of the pix. Looks adorable in the pix because it’s so soft and cuddly looking. Additionally, I’ve put this diaper on under my baby’s swimsuit. Upon removing the diaper I noticed the baby had pooped in this while in the water, but nothing came out. The poop stayed just as it should, in the diaper. To the contrary, I once had my baby in a pool wearing an Indian prefold from Green Mountain under his swimsuit and all of a sudden realized his poop was leaking out of the diaper into the pool!! I took him out immediately! So I’d definitely get at least one Kissaluv for pictures and swim diaper use : )

Kissaluvs Fitted Diaper on 1 month old
























I really liked my BumGenius v. 3.0 All in Ones (AIO) at first. They were the first diaper I reached for when we were going to church or out to eat, etc. They were tried and true just as the reviews said. They never leaked and were so easy to use. I initially purchased them for my husband to use, and really didn’t want to like them myself. But in the end I loved them for my little guy! I affectionately call the Bum Genius my “Church Diaper”! When going to church I would often put a Hemp Doubler inside. I could then quickly undo his diaper and pull out just the doubler when wet or dirty, and close up the diaper again without making a full change. The Hemp Doubler would soak up the majority of the wetness/all of the poo, and I was able to leave the AIO on him until the service was over. I’d just change the diaper right there in church on my lap with just a friendly smile to the person sitting next to me : ) Now at 2 months of age I’m finding that my BumGenius are soaking through. I put him in them at night a couple of nights in the row (note: I did not use a doubler) and after about 3 hours of wearing them he completely soaked through his diaper and pajamas! I’m thinking perhaps he’s just getting too big for them so have just placed an order for four BumGenius v. 4.0 in hopes that they can contain his pee!

I would not have bought the BumGenius Odor Remover. It’s not necessary. I only purchased it because I needed to spend $6 in order to get free shipping so I tagged it on. If you get in this situation, purchase some BumGenius Flannel Wipes instead! These are fabulous!! So soft and work great!

I also would not have bought the Diaper Pail Liner given the set-up of my home. I had planned to hang the bag on a door and toss the diapers in when dirty. But I have found that I prefer to keep the dirty's separated. And the bag is HUGE - not really made for a door. I do my wash in the basement so I just throw my dirty diapers into buckets going down the stairs – one for poohs, one for pees, and one for used covers that aren’t dirty but still need a wash. I then just carry the buckets to the bottom of the steps on laundry day. I can see how the Diaper Pail Liner would work great for people not having a separate basement area, and needing to carry their dirty’s a longer distance. So give this consideration and figure out what works best for you. A simple pickle bucket works for me. However I do have to clean the pickle bucket once in awhile whereas with the Diaper Pail Liner you just have to throw it in the wash. If you find an inexpensive one you may want to give it a try just to see whether or not it works for you. If you decide not to use it for diapering you’ll be able to find other uses for it in the long run! I will say that the GroVia bags by The Natural Baby Company are pretty colors at a comparatively low cost. For the value ($15.25), the best bags I’ve seen. www.thenaturalbabyco.com/product-list.php?cID=169

I do like the GroVia Wet Bag. At $6.75 it was a good investment! The last thing I would potentially change, is to have gotten another Velcro cover as opposed to so many snaps. The Velcro’s work so easily on the little babes and are very nice to use in the middle of the night. Some people complain that the velcros get stuck together in the wash but personally I’ve had no problems with this whatsoever. As long as you remember to close the Velcro covers before washing then you shouldn’t’ have any problems.

I am glad I only purchased six of the newborn prefolds. As my baby was 8 lbs. 10 oz. at birth they were pretty small for him and he has grown out of them at this point. I sometimes fold them and use as inserts if all my other diapers are on the line. They did serve a need though as initially the smalls (yellow) were just a tad too big. So keep this in mind when trying to figure out size. If you generally have smaller babies then you may want to consider a few more.

All in all, my initial purchase of diaper stash was a good investment – we got through the baby’s first couple of month’s without too much cost or hassle. I was able to try out a variety of items and found what my favorites were and what I won’t buy again.

No comments:

Post a Comment